- Following on from their visit to Blitzshlag Castle during World War II, the Avengers asked S.H.I.E.L.D. to scan the island for signs of Viper’s Hydra base. While they could not detect anyone alive on the island, they did discover their scans could not penetrate further than a few feet underground so decided to investigate further.
- Accompanied by a S.H.I.E.L.D. platoon led by Daisy Johnson and Nick Fury, the Avengers arrival did not go unnoticed, and they were attacked by Hydra Dreadnoughts, gun turrets and the super-fast attacks of Northstar. Fighting through this initial defense they then found themselves assaulted by the undead ninja of the Hand. Finally, reaching Blitzschlag’s laboratory, the Avengers faced off against the Gorgon, Viper, Elektra, Northstar and Baron Blitzschlag.
- Seeing the Avengers, Viper ran for the exit with Daisy Johnson in pursuit. The Avengers were able to force Elektra to teleport away, and defeated both Northstar and Baron Blitzshlag, while Daisy was able to capture Viper. However, the Gorgon proved resistant to the Avenger’s attacks, regenerating almost as fast as they could wound him. His defeat came when he attempted to use his petrifying gaze on the group only for Wolverine to reflect his vision using his adamantium claws, turning him to stone.
- Blitzshalg’s laboratory was being used to house machinery stamped with the word “Leviathan”. There machinery included a number of glass tanks containing Hydra agents that Blitzshlag had experimented on. Whatever he had done did not appear to have worked, as each was dead by the time the Avengers arrived on the scene. The machinery had several panels marked with Russian writing, and it was speculated that this may have been linked to a Russian super-soldier program.
- Shortly after their return to New York, the Avengers were questioned by Maria Hill about the events that took place. It was discovered that both Nick Fury and Daisy Johnson had not returned from the fight and had seemingly taken Viper with them. With Fury’s disappearance, Maria Hill has been name acting director of S.H.I.E.L.D.